Product development is the process through which a mechanical product is realized from just an idea into a fully detailed entity ready for production.
This course is an attempt to cover that process at an introductory level covering all the key concepts, ideas and details from a perspective of a Mechanical design engineer.
The course is structured in a way as to build on the product development process step by step . From the way an Idea is generated, incubated, to how a concept is generated, evaluated, how specifications are created and set towards the system design of a product , followed by a overview of activities in Detailed design and prototyping.
- Opportunity identification and product idea generation
- What are customer needs?
- What are specifications and when are they set ? how are they set?
- How are concepts generated?
- How to select and score concepts?
- Techniques for Generating ideas and concepts
- What is modularity? and difference between modular designs and integral designs
- What is product architecture along with the example of a Vehicle architecture
- Importance of the Engineering drawing in Detail design
- Design for X and Design for manufacturing and Assembly
- Types of prototypes and the purpose of prototyping
What you will learn from this course?
- To understand the overall process of product development and develop a Holistic understanding of how products are developed
- To learn ways of developing ideas, opportunities for new product development
- To understand concepts like product architecture, modularity and Interfaces relating to mechanical design.